- Maybe we’re all a little guilty of this: on faking cultural literacy.
- Here’s a Big Question for you: the Telegraph asks, why do we read?
- Huff Post in defense of genre fiction.
- Relevant to some of our readers’ interests? Writing a novel as a college-age human.
- Boy Meets Boy author David Leviathan on writing LGBT characters for young people.
- Are we still having this conversation? Another round of “why adults shouldn’t be ashamed to read young adult fiction,” sparked by another editorial detailing why we should be embarrassed to be doing so.
- Literature on a burrito wrapper… would you read it?
- Hillary Clinton’s new memoir is highly political and hints at a future presidential run (I’m not American, but I’m game).
- $20,000 to be killed off by George R. R. Martin? Not a joke, but it is for a good cause.
- Scotland police will be investigating a complaint made (by someone else) that J.K. Rowling was the victim of “online abuse” after publicly donating and giving her support to the UK loyalists in Scotland’s bid for independence.
- And a US court has ruled that Sherlock Holmes is officially in the public domain (so, fanficcers, fanfic away!).
- YouTube vlogger Zoella has signed a two-book deal, launching her new career as a novelist. Her first book, coming in November, will be titled Girl Online.
- Here’s a nice one to start off our inaugural Comics section in this news roundup! How comic books channel your inner superhero.
- From the Globe and Mail: three new must-read comics.
- Newsarama wonders whether a DC crisis could lead to yet another reboot next year.
- The campaign has begun to get Marvel’s Agents of Shield their own Lego set.
- With no release date in sight for series 8 of Doctor Who, Titan Comics is producing a comic series featuring Peter Capaldi’s Twelfth Doctor with the first issue due in October.
- Marvel’s Ultimate FF will be receiving a premature end after six issues, with the final one due in September.
Page to Screen
- Huff Post lists all the times the fierce women of Game of Thrones were, well, fierce.
- The first photo of Shredder, as well as a number of new posters that pay homage to the franchise’s comic book roots, have been released from Michael Bay’s upcoming Ninja Turtles movie.
- Details have been released for the Amazing Spiderman 2 Blu-Ray, coming in August.
- It’s confirmed: Jason Momoa, better known as Drogo from the Game of Thrones series, has been cast as Aquaman in the upcoming Batman vs Superman movie.
- But what about Black Widow? Mark Ruffalo says Marvel is “entertaining” the idea of a(nother) solo Hulk movie.
- On teaching non-artists to draw.
- Nineteen New York murals created for the Governor’s Ball
- UK museums and galleries have launched a crowdfunding campaign in order to fund new projects.
- Internet art “fails to click” – examining the legacy of online art.
- Experts have revealed a hidden portrait of a man behind Picasso’s masterpiece The Blue Room