In July of 2012 it was announced that Toei would be making a new Sailor Moon series. Since that time rumors and speculation have been rife, so let’s lay some facts down now:
- There WILL be a new Sailor Moon series, not a movie. (SQUEE!!!)
- This series, official name unknown (the interwebs has taken to calling it Sailor Moon 2013), will be a reboot and not a continuation from Stars.
- This series will be released simultaneously worldwide.
- The new series’ theme song will be performed by group Momoiro Clover Z.
- Originally slated for a Summer 2013 release, it was confirmed in April that the series’ release has been delayed. Fumio Osano (Osabu), editor of the Sailor Moon manga, confirmed this on Twitter but there is no indication on the extent of the delay.
All clear? Good. Other unsubstantiated rumors and unknown variables continue to float. While a simultaneous release suggests digital streaming, there is no confirmation on whether or not the releases will be subtitled or dubbed. Animation style, plot, and voice actors remain vague. There have been indications that former voice actors and dubbing actors are interested in reprising their roles but are not confirmed. And if anyone tells you they saw Momoiro Clover Z perform the new theme song on a Youtube video, they’re misinformed and you have the right to correct them.
All around, news regarding the new Sailor Moon series remains shadowy at best. But the important point for fans to take away is that the series is a definite go, even if the specifics are uncertain. For updates check out the unofficial Facebook page or keep an eye on sailormoonnews.com
Want to see the top moments we hope to see in Sailor Moon 2013? Check out our list here!