Geek girls come in all kinds of different varieties; on top of that, some of us are more comfortable with our nerdiness than other ladies, who might be shyer about it and wonder how the heck a relationship will ever work around their multiple OTPs (One True Pairings, if you’re still learning geek speak). The good news is that with online dating is becoming more popular than ever before around the world, websites have profiling down to a science – you can filter potential dates by preferences. The bad news is sometimes it may not be specific enough to share the realities of what it’s like to be a nerdy lady.
To help those seeking a nerdy girlfriend, Paper Droids has come up with the top 10 things potential mates will have to know about us:
2. In our minds, we’re dating fictional characters. For instance, the most important man in our lives right now is Captain America, and we have a girl crush on Daenerys from Game of Thrones. We will make no apologies for it.
3. We like our shoujo manga. In fact, we really do need all 12 volumes of the Sailor Moon manga, plus the boxset, plus the bonus boxset.
5. We’re going to take over your bookshelf too. It’s where we keep all our pristine books, collector edition comic books, and TV and movie box sets.
6. “I believe in fairies, I do, I do!” (And zombies, unicorns, Johnny Depp-style pirates, superheroes, dragons, wizards, etc.)
7. Whether we play on console or game online, accept the fact that we won’t go easy on you. Just because your friends are watching or in-game, we are not going to play the damsel-in-distress, and we can kill our own zombies, thank you very much! And no, we don’t need you to beat the level for us either.
8. We have internet friends that need our attention too! We chat with our roleplay partners, tumblr followers, and forum buddies. We know people from all over the world! They are as real as our IRL friends.
9. We collect nerdy things and sometimes a lot of weird stuff… Superhero bobbleheads, Hello Kitty hair pins and bows, replica swords, a mockingjay pin, a Pikachu plushie, Game of Thrones figurines, a toy ray gun… seriously, the list could go on forever. Point is: Accept me, accept my stuff.
10. When we say the girls are coming over, it’s probably not going to be a slumber party where we watch chick flicks while doing our hair and nails. No, we have RPG nights! There will be guidebooks, character information and stats sheets, tons of dice, in-character voices, and a lot of out-of-character giggle fits.
If you accept this and all of our geekiness, we believe there may be a solid relationship in the future for the both of us. And hopefully you’re a mega geek too!
Written by: Tina Jin & Steph Furlan