Valentine’s Day is coming up! If you want to work a little geek chic into your plans, look no further than today’s inspiration sets, drawn from Vampire Drusilla and Companion Rose Tyler.
Drusilla, of Buffy the Vampire Slayer fame, displays a dark, gothic style that worked especially well in the season 2 Valentine episode “Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered”. For a night out, try an embroidered dress in deep red, lacy stockings, and an Oxford heel that’s just the right touch of Victorian coquette. Keep warm with a light shawl or pashmina, and add accessories inspired by the Valentine gifts Dru received: a pair of human heart earrings à la Angel, and a gemstone necklace from Spike. If you want to try Dru’s dark French manicure, keep the focus on your nails with understated makeup elsewhere. Remember to duck any love spells headed your way!
- Gothic Lace Dress from Oasis, $39 USD
- Rebel Rose Fishnets from Betsey Johnson, $9.99 USD (sale)
- High-heel Brogues from Debenhams, $35 USD
- Shawl Scarf from Target, $24.99 USD
- Ruby Glow Necklace from Threadsence, $18 USD
- Red Heart Earrings from Kreepsville, $12 USD
- Essie Nail Polish in Size Matters and Marshmallow from Target, $7.79 USD
Rose Tyler, the first companion of the revived Doctor Who, has a great many notable outfits (such as that Union Jack t-shirt). One of the most romantic ones is her ’50s get-up from “The Idiot’s Lantern”, a cute combo you can recreate for daytime plans. Use a pink A-line dress as your base (a crinoline is optional!) and layer on black tights and a snazzy navy moto jacket for warmth. Bow flats, a headband, and round sunglasses in complementary shades of pink complete the look. Add a Bad Wolf patch or other Whovian bling and a perfect retro cat-eye, and allez-y!
- Strapless Belted Dress from Rare London, $16 USD
- Stardust Tights from House of Fraser, $12 USD
- Quilted Faux-Leather Moto Jacket from Forever 21, $34.80 USD
- Witty in Pink Flats from ModCloth, $29.99 USD
- Paparazzi Sunglasses from The Iconic, $42 USD
- Headband Set from Aerie, $15.95 USD
- Bad Wolf Patch from Etsy, $7 USD
- Maybelline Precise Liquid Eyeliner from drugstores, $7.99 USD