Hallowe’en is around the corner and generally this means two things: lots of candy, and lots of overdone and/or revealing costumes. Whether the costume is for Hallowe’en or cosplay, people just want to emulate their favorite characters and, often, be recognizable. Sometimes we forget where to find the most recognizable characters of all: the ’90s! Here are a few of my suggestions to bringing the ’90s back for your costume consideration.
This high-tech cartoon still has a huge fan following, but the cons and Hallowe’ens that I have been to rarely have a costume presence from this popular show; although I did see a Hexadecimal once. It may be hard to paint your skin to match some of the main characters but there are options that don’t involve becoming a green being.
AndrAIa: This female character is unique because there is both a young and older version you could consider, depending on which you feel more comfortable with: The older is a little more revealing. Here are some basics.
- Teal wig
- Shells for hair
- Shiny pants: there are some great metallic jeggings that you can find at Urban Planet
- Sleeveless sea green and blue shirt
- Shell as shirt armor
- Paint your nails to match your hair
- Arm bands
- Teal wig
- Star fish for hair
- Arm and wrist bands
- Some sort of trident
- High boots: I recommend just getting a pair from a thrift shop and painting them the necessary colour
- Shiny sort of half top or bra
- Same shiny pants!
- Circular necklace
- Cardboard box painted to look like an orange and gold TV
- Either put this on your head or wear it like a shirt with your head sticking out as the antenna!
- Orange jeggings or a full body suit
- Antenna headband – if your head is sticking out
Who doesn’t remember Daria — she’s the original awkward geek. And although The Office has taken over that segment of television there is still that cult-like following of Daria and her familiar cynical comebacks. The best part about Daria characters is that you could easily grab the pieces at a thrift shop or just dress like them all year round!
- Maroon hair
- Dark green jacket
- Orange shirt
- Black skirt
- Black honking boots
- Short black hair
- Red lipstick
- Red blazer
- Black shirt with white v-neck
- Black shorts
- Black leggings
- Military or rain boots in dark grey/green
1999 still counts as the ’90s! This show has only strengthened through the weather of time, even coming back from the depths of cancellation. Similar to Daria, these characters’ looks could easily be rocked throughout the year because they are simply basic to put together from secondhand finds.
- White tank top
- Black jeggings or leggings
- Winter boots
- Wrist gadget/Wristlet/Wrist band
- Ray gun
- Purple hair
Philip J. Fry
- Red jacket or sweater
- White T-shirt
- Blue jeans
- Black runners
- Dumb expression
- Orange hair